Under a Twinning arrangement, Indian students are enrolled with a higher education institution in India but complete part of their programme at a partnering institution from another country complying with relevant national regulations. However, the degree under Twinning arrangement shall be given solely by the Indian Higher Education Institution.
The idea behind Twinning programme is holistic development of the learners with the help of cultural exchanges and social cohesion. Mobility under Twinning programme will equip the learners with best practices, approaches and methods of teaching and learning in international institutions.
The main features of the Twinning Programme under NEP2020 are:
- Indian Universities can enter into Agreement/MoUs with Foreign Higher Education Institution for recognition of credits under twinning arrangements.
- The ‘Credit’ conferred by a Foreign Higher Education Institution to be recognised, quantified and included towards the credit requirements for a programme delivered by an Indian Higher Education Institution under a mutual twinning arrangement.
- The degree offered under such Twinning programmes shall be awarded by the Indian Higher Education Institution only.
- The credits obtained at the Foreign Higher Education Institution shall be reflected in the transcript.
- The Indian Higher Education Institution shall ensure that the credits earned by the students from the Foreign Higher Education Institution shall not be from overlapping course contents/curriculum.
- The Indian Higher Education Institutions will make provision for exit pathways for student who are unable to complete the Twinning programme including for failing to secure VISA and will be allowed to complete the programme in the Indian Higher Education Institution.
More details of the universities that have started Twinning Programmes are awaited.