Karnataka has become the first state to order the implementation of the National Education Policy, 2020. The orders were issued on 7th August 2021, after convening a meeting with officials of the department and state higher education council. The minister of higher education Dr C.N. Ashwatha Narayana said that the policy will come in effect from the current academic year i.e. 2021-2022. The implementation will be done as per the guidelines of NEP 2020, he added.
What are the guidelines to implement NEP 2020?
- According to guidelines, students joining BA or BSc degree courses will be able to opt for two subjects as core discipline as available in their respective colleges. At the start of their third-year course, they will have the option to either choose one subject as a major and the other as a minor or opt for both major subjects.
- In addition to opting for two subjects, they will also need to choose Kannada and one more language as language subjects. Discipline electives and open electives are to be chosen as per curriculum structure.
- A separate curriculum will be prepared for those either who haven’t studied Kannada language as their subject in school or whose mother tongue is not Kannada.
- It is not necessary to opt for core subjects for graduate courses such as B. Com, BCA, BBA, BVA, BPA, etc.
- After completing the first year of graduation, if a student wishes to discontinue then he/she shall be given a certificate (National Skills Qualifications Framework Level 5) after acquiring certain credits of the first year.
- However, if he/she wishes to discontinue after the second year, then they may be granted a diploma certificate (National Skills Qualification Framework Level 6) by obtaining the necessary credits. The same procedure continues for the 3rd and 4th years as well.
- If there is no honor degree in the college, students can continue their studies by joining another college where honor degree is available. No compulsion has been put on providing honor degree.
- A student can get a maximum of 40% credits from official online courses and a minimum of 50% from the respective university.
- Students can even discontinue after completing their semester studies. However, they can rejoin only the odd semester.
- Post-graduation will be of either one year or two years. Those who had honor degrees will be eligible to study for one year PG.
- Those who have got a 3-year degree will be eligible to join 2-year PG.
- If a student doesn’t continue his/her second year PG but has acquired requisite credits of the first year in PG, they will be eligible to get the post-graduate diploma.